PETA Ltd are looking to source an exceptional Toolmaker Apprentices for our client, Langstone Engineering in Portsmouth. If you want to develop a career in engineering and have a passion for it, this apprenticeship could be ideal for you!
As a Toolmaker Apprentice, you will be involved in highly skilled, complex, precision work, machining components from specialist materials using manual machine tools such as centre lathes, vertical and horizontal milling machines, horizontal and grinding machines, electro discharge machines, single and multi- axis CNC machine tools centres.
You will learn how to set up, operate and adjust/edit equipment settings as applicable to the machine tool being used. Once competent you will be able machine and build mould tools. Upon completion you will be measuring and checking components, making adjustments to the equipment/programme to ensure components and assemblies meet the required specification.
As a Toolmaker Apprentice, you will will be learning the skills required to manufacture, complex and specialist components and assemblies. Your role will involve:
- Manufacturing and maintaining the tooling used to produce components, products and assemblies. This requires the acquisition of a broad range of skills including the interpretation of engineering drawings and technical instructions.
- The use of hand, machine and automated computer-controlled machine tools and measuring equipment.
- Working both individually and as part of a manufacturing team.
- Being proactive in finding solutions to problems and identifying ways to improve the business.
Working with a range of Formula 1 teams, Aerospace and other precision orientated industries Langstone Engineering Ltd offer Toolmaking & Precision Engineering Services including Prototype Engineering & Component Manufacture.
Accredited to BS EN ISO 9001:2008. Utilising their engineering expertise, they assist customers with the design and development of new tooling and prototypes. This is supported by a comprehensive hands on fast-track supply service with a full CAD/CAM support office manufacturing from customer electronic files. This is transferred to their networked CNC machines including 2,3,4 & 5-Axis 3D CNC mills & driven tooling CNC lathes. The company have an established apprenticeship programme with a proven track record of producing highly skilled engineers.
- Auto-enrolled into the company pension scheme after qualification period
- 20 days holiday plus bank holidays (3 days to be taken at Christmas)
- Free parking on site
- Onsite restroom with kitchen facilities
- Overtime available
Upon completion of the work you will also learn how to test and adjust the systems you have built (or maintained) ensuring tooling, jigs, fixtures and assemblies meet the required specification. This requires the application of a broad range of skills, knowledge, and occupational behaviours across a range of engineering disciplines.
Training to be provided
This position is offered as an apprenticeship and you will be completing a Level 3 Engineering qualification. You will be employed directly by the client but be support every step of the way by PETA.
Throughout the duration of the Apprenticeship you will be required to attend PETA’s Havant training center for off-the-job training. The majority of skills development training in years 2, 3 and 4 will be completed with your employer at your place of work.
You will be employed whilst you are completing your apprenticeship this will include 18 months of day release training at PETA Ltd where you will complete your Level 2 Advanced Manufacturing Engineering (Foundation Competence) qualification. This will include:
- Preparing and using Manual Turning Machines
- Preparing and using Manual Milling Machines
- Preparing and using CNC Milling Machines
- Preparing and using CNC Turning Machines
- Using fitting and assembly Techniques.
- Producing Mechanical Engineering Drawings using a CAD System
- Conducting business improvement activities
- You will also complete the Level 2 Advanced Manufacturing Engineering (Foundation Technical Knowledge)
You will be expected to progress onto the Level 3 Advanced Manufacturing Engineering (Development Competence) delivered in the workplace by your PETA Learning & Development Coach You will be day released for a further 24 months to complete a Technical certificate (Level 3) as part of your advanced apprenticeship standard. This will be the Level 3 Advanced Manufacturing Engineering (Development Technical Knowledge).
Apply for this Vacancy
To apply for this job vacancy, please complete the application form below. Once we have received your application, we will be in touch to discuss next steps.