Apprentice Receptionist - Wickham Surgery
Location: Wickham PO17 5GU
Salary per week: £203.50
Working hours: Mon-Fri 9am – 5pm. 37 Hours per week. (There may be a requirement to work up to two evening shifts until 6.30pm and on occasion start at 8am to open the surgery)
Applications in by: 29/04/2018
Interview Date: 01/05/2018
Job Code: ED28666
An exciting new opportunity has arisen for an Apprentice Medical Receptionist with Wickham Surgery. This reception position is perfect for someone looking to work in a customer facing position, with an interest in working with people. This is a vital role within the surgery, providing assistance to patients in a professional manner and performing administration functions for the surgery.
Wickham Surgery offers a range of medical services including various NHS clinics and private services. They have eight GP’s and one retainer GP, a team of nursing and healthcare professionals and support staff. They are committed to recruit an apprentice to train to become part of the team full time.
Click to learn more about Wickham Surgery
Duties will include:
- To receive, assist and direct patients in accessing the appropriate service or healthcare professionals in a courteous and efficient way.
- Provide general assistance to the whole of the practice team and project a positive and friendly image to patients and visitors either in person or telephone.
- Take accurate messages and transfer them to the relevant professionals.
- Undertake the day to day administrative tasks such as, scanning, prescriptions and filing.
- To have a thorough knowledge of all Practice procedures. To work in accordance of written protocols
- To embrace any new ideas with confidence and enthusiasm that will take the practice forward.
- To undertake training and attending courses where necessary
- To work at the branch surgery when required.
- Adhere to confidentiality procedures throughout the surgery
- Receive patients for their appointments
- Book/cancel appointments with all health professionals that have clinics at the surgery
- Deal with general enquiries and messages for all departments.
- Handle prescription requests and issue prescription in accordance with protocols
- Deal with patient transport bookings
- Deal with home visit requests
- Provide holiday/sickness cover for reception
- Have working knowledge of telephone systems
- Pull notes and file if required
- Be aware of all working protocols and procedures and adhere to them
- Handle specimens according to protocols
- Be aware of all emergency procedures
- Handle aggressive and angry patients professionally at all times following practice procedures
- Handle complaints according to procedure.
- Have thorough knowledge of the clinical system
- Have working knowledge of telephone system during and after hours at Wickham and the branch surgery.
- Receive and make telephone calls as required.
- Divert calls and take messages ensuring accuracy of detail and prompt delivery.
- Answer all calls within 5 rings – and adhere to telephone protocols
- Be aware of telephone procedures to doctors and other healthcare professionals during the day.
- Understand telephone procedures for Out of Hours Service.
Administration / Computer Duties
- Send faxes and photocopy in accordance with practice protocols
- File letters or requests into patient notes.
- Deal with ‘Patient Notes/Admin’ for the clinical system on a daily basis
- Register new patients on to the clinical system
- Ensure GMS contract requirements are adhered to.
- Process change of address, computer data and medical records
- Have basic understanding of notes procedure throughout the surgery
- Scanning patient correspondence on to Docman/Emis
- Deal with workflow issues on Docman
- Deal with email enquiries
- Deal with Patient Access
- Mjog monitoring
- Tidy and clear rooms and waiting areas throughout the day
- Ensure building security when entering and leaving building
- Make tea /coffee when required
- Work at the branch surgery when required
- Undertake any other reasonable tasks requested by Department Managers and/or Practice Manager
- Attend staff meetings on a regular basis and at least four times a year.
- Adhere to uniform and badge name policy.
In the course of seeking treatment, patients allow us to gather sensitive information in relation to their health and other matters. They do so in confidence and have the right to expect that staff will respect their privacy and act appropriately
In the performance of the duties outlined in this Job Description, the post-holder may have access to confidential information relating to patients and their carers, practice staff and other healthcare workers. They may also have access to information relating to the practice as a business organisation. All such information from any source is to be regarded as strictly confidential
Information relating to patients, carers, colleagues, other healthcare workers or the business of the practice may only be divulged to authorised persons in accordance with the practice policies and procedures relating to confidentiality and the protection of personal and sensitive data.
Health and Safety
The post-holder will assist in promoting and maintaining their own and others’ health, safety and security as defined in the practice Health & Safety Policy, to include:
- Using personal security systems within the workplace according to practice guidelines
- Identifying the risks involved in work activities and undertaking such activities in a way that manages those risks
- Attend training course to update knowledge and skills
- Use appropriate infection control procedures for handling all specimens
- Be aware of sharps and waste procedures in the surgery
- Maintain work areas in a tidy and safe way and free from hazards
- Reporting potential risks identified.
- Demonstrate due regard for safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children.
Personal / Professional Development
The post-holder will participate in any training programme implemented by the practice as part of this employment, such training to include:
Participation in an annual individual performance review, including taking responsibility for maintaining a record of own personal and/or professional development if required.
Taking responsibility for own development, learning and performance and demonstrating skills and activities to others who are undertaking similar work.
Attend staff training sessions and complete mandatory online training as required.
In your first 13 months you will complete:
- Customer Service Practitioner Level 2 Apprenticeship Standard
The post-holder should recognize the importance of effective communication within the team and will strive to:
- Communicate effectively with other team members and outside agencies
- Communicate effectively with patients and carers
- Recognize people’s needs for alternative methods of communication and respond accordingly.
- Treat patients at all times with care, civility and efficiently
The post-holder will support the equality, diversity and rights of patients, carers and colleagues, to include:
- Acting in a way that recognizes the importance of people’s rights, interpreting them in a way that is consistent with practice procedures and policies, and current legislation
- Respecting the privacy, dignity, needs and beliefs of patients, carers and colleagues
- Behaving in a manner that is welcoming to and of the individual, is non-judgemental and respects their circumstances, feelings priorities and rights.
- Positive attitude
- Confidence to deal with the public
- Good face to face and telephone communication skills
- Good IT User skills
- Willingness to learn
- GCSE or equivalent in English grade A* - C (4-9) is desirable.
- 20 days annual leave plus bank holiday entitlement
- Chance to learn all about working in a busy healthcare environment
- Friendly and supportive staff
- Staff uniform provided
- A possibility to progress to an advanced apprenticeship or full time employment with the practice
Applications in by: 29/04/2018
Interview Date: 01/05/2018
Job Code: ED28666
« All vacancies Apply now »
Apply for this role
Please fill in all fields below marked with an asterisk(*).