Apprenticeships offer a fantastic opportunity to start a career.
What led you to work at PETA?
I attended Barton Peveril College to complete A Levels in maths, English, psychology, and drama. I knew that I wanted to work in education therefore went to the University of Portsmouth to complete a BA (hons) degree in Childhood & Youth Studies with Psychology. I next did a MRes degree in Childhood Studies whilst working at a local college teaching life skills and work experience. I then worked briefly as a college lecturer before teaching a Traineeship course in Childcare with another training provider. This led me to work as an Apprenticeship Recruiter at PETA as I wanted to gain experience with apprenticeships. I have always enjoyed working with young people within education.
What is your role at PETA and what drives you to do what you do?
I am an Apprenticeship Recruiter and my job role has 3 main areas:
- Client engagement – working with local employers who are looking to recruit an apprentice
- Learner engagement – talking to applicants about apprenticeship opportunities, conducting learner interviews, matching applicants to apprenticeship positions, arranging interviews and securing apprenticeship starts
- School engagement – attending careers events / parents’ evenings / assemblies to raise awareness of apprenticeships and offer advise on how to apply
What knowledge or experience do you draw upon for your role?
- Knowledge of the education system across school and college
- Strong customer service and people skills
- Technical knowledge of apprenticeship standards and funding
- Networking with clients and schools
How do you approach your role on a day-to-day basis? What skills are required?
I need to be organised to balance multiple tasks at one. I start each day with an open mind and a flexible approach. Multi-tasking and prioritisation are key!
What are you passionate about outside of work?
First and foremost, human rights and non-human animal rights which carries through to the way I live my life. I am a passionate feminist so support equality and diversity for all and I strive to live my life in the most caring, kind and compassionate way that I can. I enjoy running and participating in events with others, that promote awareness and understanding of these core values. I also enjoy sewing, reading and going out for dinner to eat lots of yummy vegan food.
What are your personal values, and what is important to you?
Respect, kindness, and compassion for all beings